WordPress version 4.4 comes with a lot of changes and features for WordPress Developers. I have made a brief list of major features in the release.Prior Knowledge of php,html,css and WordPress is required to be able to understand all the features listed below.
WordPress 4.4 Features
- Taxonomy Terms:
get_term_by()functions will now return WP_Term objects.
- Term Meta: Now metadata can be added for each term easily with new functions
WP_Commentclass introduced to query comments data.
WP_Comment_Queryclass introduced to query through a comment tree.
comment_form_after_fieldsand other hooks introduced in
comment_form()function.These hooks are used to display comment textarea first in the form. You can also now easily customize the fields in the form.
- Multisite / WordPress Network:
WP_Networkclass introduced. Following new functions are introduced
delete_network_option()to manage network options.
- Rest API: REST API infrastructure has been finally introduced to WordPress core.
- Responsive Images: Responsive image markup has been added to the
imgtag of output from
srcset. New thumbnail size
medium_large, has been added which is 768px wide by default, with no height limit. New function
wp_get_attachment_image_sizes()can be used to get srcset and sizes attribute values for any image. You can use the values in
imgtag in your WordPress theme.
- Twenty Sixteen: New Twenty Sixteen theme has been introduced.
You can now Embed WordPress posts in your WordPress 4.4 based website.Developers can change or edit the embed output code only using
- Accessibility of Admin Screen: Headings in custom admin page should be wrapped with h1 tag and subheadings with h2 tag. Dashboard widget headings should also be changed to h2. More details can be found here.
- Metabox: You can now add metaboxes to specific custom post types very easily by using add_meta_box function.
add_meta_box()now accepts array of post types with $screen parameter.
You can visit list of all changes that have been addressed (or the tickets that has been closed) for WordPress version 4.4 WordPress Trac.
You can also view more detailed and updated list at : here